These babies will get a cozy fire started at your casa and make the place smell great! Plus, you probably already have a lot of the supplies on-hand already. It’s a win-win!
Here’s what you’ll need…
- egg cartons (not Styrofoam) or cupcake pan with liners
- leftover candle stubs, old crayons or unscented paraffin wax (available at craft stores)
- sawdust or shavings
- herbs, cinnamon sticks, or essential oils for extra perfume!
Here’s what to do…
- If you’re using a cupcake pan, line your cups with paper cupcake liners. Fill cupcake liners or egg carton sections with sawdust or wood shavings. If you don’t fancy yourself a carpenter, you can also purchase a bag of wood shavings meant to be small animal bedding. If desired, add any herbs or cinnamon sticks now.
- Melt the wax using a double-boiler: a large bowl placed over a pot of simmering water. Be careful! The wax will be hot!
- Carefully pour or ladle the wax into each section, making sure to completely coat the sawdust/woodshavings. If necessary, push sawdust/woodshavings down into the wax using the back of a spoon.
- Let the fire starters cool and solidify completely. If you’re using a egg carton, you will want to cut apart the sections now.
- When you want to start a fire, nestle your firestarter in the middle of your kindling. Set fire to the cupcake liner or egg carton section. Burning the starter will last about 5 mins, long enough to get your fire going nicely.